Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ideas for New digg Revenues

Hey, digg, I know you're looking for a Business Development Manager. You have my resume, but I thought I would lay out a few ideas to generate new revenues and extend the digg brand. If you like them, hire me.

1.digg Music – Record labels and artists would upload their own works to be streamed, commented on, dugg/buried, same as it ever was. But the agreements we put in place would allow digg users to download the tracks, DRM free of course, for a price set by the artists/labels themselves. We take a %, they take a %. It's an entirely new revenue stream for digg. Granted, a few of these sites exist already, but I have been severely unimpressed with what they have done. Plus, with the built in audience of digg, those sites would immediately become irrelevant. I believe digg could become a premier destination for music on the web because community promotion offers a huge differentiator that many music sites have been struggling to find, the filtering factor;

From here; Aside from price cuts, one factor can help determine which company will emerge as the market leader -- I'd call it the filtering factor. It's not enough to simply throw all your songs onto a site and expect users to find them, you need to have reviews and recommendations to help them out.


2.Tighter partnerships with movie/TV studios – Doesn't the idea of seeing the digg guy with an Indiana Jones hat and a whip instead of a shovel put a smile on your face? The digg community is always on top of every tidbit of info for new movies, we played the Batman Comic-Con game together, we ate up every morsel of Cloverfield viral marketing, we watch every new trailer posted anywhere on the web. Well, why isn't that big square ad on the homepage a video trailer for whatever flick is being released this Friday? How come when I go to Myspace (yes, I admit it, I still go to Myspace) the homepage is themed with some new movie/TV show but when I go to digg it's an ad for pimple cream? We are the juiciest target market for advertisers, we're employed young males with plenty of disposable income because apparently none of us have ever spoken with a girl. How about some fun easter eggs that take you to a micro-site for a new movie? You're telling me NBC doesn't want to have a Quarterlife video on the homepage of digg in the days before it premiers?

3.Selling the digg system to local news sites – I live in Miami, everyday I read the Miami Herald's site. Via digg, I wind up looking at many other local news sites. Each and every one of them have a 'most popular' or 'most read' section. Why not offer to manage a mini-digg like site for these local papers and their local readers. Let's face it, the newspapers are scrambling to figure out new ways to attract eyeballs online as they slash their print staff. But they have spent the last several decades in a different medium and still haven't learned how to adapt to the new news. Show them how they can dominate the local web by implementing a digg system for their site that they don't even have to manage or know how to program. It's another entirely new revenue stream for digg. You could possibly even integrate it with digg itself, perhaps a digg-local section.

4.digg Beer – just kidding. But hey, if you're going to hire me, I need to show I mesh with the company culture, right?

5.More effort placed on direct ad sales – Keywords are nice, Adwords is nice, but anyone that has been in advertising long enough will tell you that the most profitable way to sell ads is person to person. Why is digg not offering sectional sponsorship on a daily/weekly/monthly basis? I could see Obama or Clinton or McCain wanting to buy up space in Elections 2008. I could see Dell buying up the hardware section. I could see Chevy buying up the cars section, and so on. And everything on digg should be sold on a CPM basis, forget CPA or CPC. Again, digg has an extremely desirable userbase that marketers are constantly trying to reach, but digg needs to spend some time reaching out to them. Someone (me) needs to be banging phones on a regular basis.

6. digg Deals – Form partnerships with companies, let them put coupons/deals in an upcoming sections, let the digg community do what it does. Digg is now getting paid to let these companies submit items, a whole new revenue stream. $20 off at your favorite store, who doesn't give that a digg and print it out? The companies get a quantifiable ROI since each coupon could carry the digg logo, users get discounts, participating companies get new sales, new customers, and better brand enhancement. I hate to use the phrase, but that's win-win-win.


These are just a few ideas, some are probably better than others, and they were all conjured up in one brainstorming session (except for the music one). But this should give you an indication of what I could bring in and how I could help make you some more money. I've given you options for 3 new revenue streams and more effective ways to foster relationships with advertisers. And I might just be saving the best idea for my first day on the job.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Digg brand will most likely be limited to apparrel and maybe in the future branded tech products probably IPod cases with the Digg logo lol.

Your Favorite Blogger's Favorite Blogger said...

From a branded product standpoint, you're probably right. But brand extension encompasses much more than products with logos.

Anonymous said...

What a bunch of sad and shitty ideas. You're so sad! Does your mommy tell you you're special? Here's why you don't know shit: You can't sell out Digg because then all the broke people would hate it! There's a lot of them on that site! Those assholes don't pay for shit and that's a fact that's been repeated over and over again. Digg music? That is laaaameee.

Nobody outside of my college externship has ever heard of Digg anyway. Good thing that's far behind me because I was smart enough to quit when the real money opportunity was in my face. I grabbed it, made the real loot. I went through a lot of shitty jobs as a kid and had no car for the longest time. I slaved through college and I can honestly without a doubt say that I'm too good to get knocked down by canewediggit on Digg.com.

You know nothing about marketing so don't try to pass yourself off as hip and cool because your comments on Digg show you haven't even had sex yet. Here's you: "gimme a prostitute so I can see my first pussy! Better make it legal so I don't go to prison where I'll get butt raped 50 times a day." "Let me spraypaint my dick, am I funny for you internet losers?"

No wonder why they won't hire your no talent ass. Maybe they read your blog and saw that you're just another slacker coke head who thinks he's a genius. I make websites for rappers and bands and they pay me a shitload of cash,I drive a really nice car and get some awesome pussy for free. I also have a game company coming out very soon that's self funded and gaining a lot of buzz locally from strangers. Looks like you hang out on Digg all day like total loser. Cry about it bitch.

I'm not going to name the webdesign company I work for because you'll just try to retaliate like a jealous bitter asshole that the bulk of Digg users are. Good luck putting "Bury Brigade CEO" on your resume you waste of space. Why don't you get a fuckin life.

I don't give a shit what school you went to because at the end of the day your dream is to work for Digg which means you're just another loser with no creativity so you have to latch on to somebody else's success.

I'm sure you "just" missed that 10 million VC money, aww better luck next time. Whine some more. My advice to you would be to get a job at Burger King and learn to keep your mouth shut when the business people are talking. If you knew the first thing about real estate then you'd know what crappy adult businesses do to property values. People don't want them near their homes that's why Nevada has them in the middle of the desert. But you're definitely way too stupid to understand that concept anyway.

You might want to delete this comment so everybody still thinks you're cool on Digg. Don't want your e-penis to shrivel like your real life one. Don't worry, I know you read it and that's good enough for me.

Your Favorite Blogger's Favorite Blogger said...

Best comment I've ever got, thank you so much anonymous (from RI?), you've made my day. I wouldn't dare delete it, it's frickin' hilarious. Bravo, sir.

Anonymous said...

Yeah well I got my ass kicked in a digg thread and I hate being talked down to about real world experience. I don't listen to what my mommy and daddy tell me because If I did I would still be an intern making peanuts. I was nice to everybody at first but they turned me into a very angry intern - those assholes pushed my buttons 247 saying I was a noob and gay because I didn't put the girl I was currently banging's picture on my desk Whoops. I'm not married at 23 sue me. I was extremely lucky that I got in what I did. My comment above is total assholeness at it's finest. You won't find me on Digg any more because I asked to be removed. I figure I can only speak what I think is right, not what's popular. People want to call me a moron and inexperienced and shit then fuck em. Strip clubs do not exist in good neighborhoods whoever the hell said that - Get real. Like I said I got better shit to do with my time like work on websites with my friends company that musicians are the usual clients. MySpace can be good stuff when done properly by proffessionals, but we all know those are extremely scarce over there. You should have seen me writing that stupid comment - you would have lol'ed. Tip: Don't spend all of your time on Digg and go out there and make something. Never ever trust a cokehead ever!
Good luck to you. I hope you get yours for being screwed by that lazy s.o.b. The advice from your real friends is always better in hindsight. Peace.